APP NOTE: Splitting Gas Detector Outputs for Monitoring & Process Control
Splitting Gas Detector Outputs for Monitoring & Process Control
Defining the Problem:
At a remote wastewater pumping station, Methane (CH4) and Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) are monitored with MSA X5000 Gas Monitors. The 4-20mA outputs must be split to a GasCard XL Controller and Emerson Ovation I/O. The Controller has powered inputs but the Ovation inputs require an external power source. Typical splitters have 2 outputs that are identically powered: either both are sinking or both are sourcing. We need a splitter with independent outputs to interface with our instrumentation.
The SP family of splitters can be powered by any low voltage DC supply, 9-32V. Loop powered models include 2 independent and isolated outputs that can be wired as either sinking or sourcing to the loads. USB configuration via the Acromag Agility mobile application for Android devices or with a Windows PC.
Agility Mobile Application
Implementing the Solution:
- Download the Agillity mobile application from the Google Play Store or Windows software from Acromag.
- Configure the module. Scale the input and output ranges independently for normal or reverse acting outputs. Add programmable output clamps or Namur compliant limits if needed.
- Wire each output for sinking or sourcing power to the load.
- Review manual to apply earth ground for best
- SP236: Two-Wire Current/Millivolt Input Signal Splitter
One splitter module eliminates having two separate modules that would increase the wiring and cost. Additionally, the SP products have UL/cUL Class 1 Div 2 & ATEX Zone 2 approvals, 4G Vibration, 25G shock ratings and can operate from -40 to 80°C temperatures.